I decided to wait till Cole was done with exams so he could help. I just didn't have it in me to potty train K by myself while still nursing B. I am not super mom. I decided to block off 3 days this week to just commit and do basically nothing else. K spent the whole time naked the first day (except for when I was watching a friend's child for an hour) and naked half the time the second day and in just a pull up the 3rd day. For 2 1/2 days we barricaded ourselves in K's room. It doesn't have carpet, so there would be easy clean up. I could easily heat it and there was a safe, pee-free zone (the crib) for B to play. I took out all the toys that couldn't be put in the dishwasher and removed all the bedding (she was also not allowed on the bed). We brought in the little potty and either Cole or I sat in there with her while she figured it out.
Day 1 wasn't too bad. She had some accidents and some successes. It was an exhausting, all consuming process though and by the time I needed to go make dinner K was wiped. I put her up on the change table to put a diaper on her so she could come into the rest of the house with me while I cooked and she fell asleep before I could finish putting on her diaper. She was so exhausted. See video HERE.
The benefit to such a gruelling day is that both kids slept like...well not like babies, they slept like rocks. What a terrible saying- "slept like a baby" -must have been someone without kids coining that one!
Day 2: one (pee) accident, Day 3: no accidents. Day 4/5: a couple pees in her pull up and one ugly half accident that I literally just dealt with (I had to stop this post to go clean it up- one of those half in the pull up, half in the toilet beauties). But I'd say it's going pretty good. We've emerged from her room and we're back to living life again. But it makes it a tad harder for her to remember she needs to go to the bathroom for her business now that she's not walking around naked. She's not even 2 1/2 so really, my expectations are fairly low at this point. Even if we can remove poopy diapers from our life, I am ok waiting longer for the pee ones.
She has been so proud of herself when she gets it right, though. She claps her hands and says "I did potty". Also, my favourite part of this whole process was introducing her to her Dora pull-ups. I explained to her that we don't pee or poo on Dora, that we have to go to the potty. She says, "no potty on Dot (how she says Dora)"- it was pretty cute.
Unfortunately, she has realized that she has another excuse to prolong bedtime. The ol' "I gotta go potty" excuse.
This parenting thing is a messy business. Literally.
Day 2: one (pee) accident, Day 3: no accidents. Day 4/5: a couple pees in her pull up and one ugly half accident that I literally just dealt with (I had to stop this post to go clean it up- one of those half in the pull up, half in the toilet beauties). But I'd say it's going pretty good. We've emerged from her room and we're back to living life again. But it makes it a tad harder for her to remember she needs to go to the bathroom for her business now that she's not walking around naked. She's not even 2 1/2 so really, my expectations are fairly low at this point. Even if we can remove poopy diapers from our life, I am ok waiting longer for the pee ones.
She has been so proud of herself when she gets it right, though. She claps her hands and says "I did potty". Also, my favourite part of this whole process was introducing her to her Dora pull-ups. I explained to her that we don't pee or poo on Dora, that we have to go to the potty. She says, "no potty on Dot (how she says Dora)"- it was pretty cute.
Unfortunately, she has realized that she has another excuse to prolong bedtime. The ol' "I gotta go potty" excuse.
This parenting thing is a messy business. Literally.
No comments:
Post a Comment