Cole and I often miss Victoria when we have a dinner date. We've had a hard time finding decent non-chain restaurants. But in the last few months we have had two very delicious dining experiences that I felt I should share.
First, Asteras: We tried to go to The Nest Bistro (which I have also heard is very good and the menu looks promising), but we were sent away because apparently this tiny little place took reservations and they were all full up. So we headed to Asteras, which we had heard was good and is often packed at dinner time. We were not disappointed. It was super busy but everyone who worked there was moving as fast as humanly possible, while still paying attention to everyone. It was a funky, noisy environment- what you would expect at a greek place. The food was divine! We had pita, tzatziki, and spanokapita to start- all of it very flavourful and well done- and they didn't shy away from the garlic, which I loved. Cole had the special, a beef tenderloin and scallop dish, while I had the roast lamb. Both were superb- Cole's plate was so clean by the end of the meal it looked like it could have gone back into the cupboard. Both dishes were so good, but we both agreed mine was the best. So if you like lamb, this is the dish for you! Served with rice, potatoes, greek salad and veggies, these $20 plates are worth the money. If you haven't tried this place yet, it should be the destination of your next dinner date!
Next, K attended her first birthday party where I didn't have to stay. So Cole and I (and B) had a brunch date at 2 Chefs Affair. A small place downtown that serves affordable, familiar food done in a gourmet way. It is evident from the flavour profiles and presentation that the quality of the food is of the utmost importance. We ordered the eggs benedict and french toast from the breakfast menu. The hollandaise had a beautiful lemon note and the hashbrown had a homemade ketchup accompaniment that was nothing like the ketchup you know. The french toast had real maple syrup and a berry cream cheese spread. The couple beside us had the waffles and those looked like a dessert masterpiece. Cole went back a couple weeks later with a friend for lunch and had just as positive of an experience. $10 plates- you can't beat that price for food this good.
If you have been to a good restaurant in Nanaimo, I'd love to hear about it!
1 comment:
I haven't tried Asteras or 2 Chefs Affair. They're on my list now. We liked the Nest Bistro and also (for a very fancy occasion only) Hilltop Bistro. Pricey but divine.
Post a Comment