Do any of you watch "The Middle"? Last week was their Valentine's episode. Franky and Mike go to dinner with their friends because they don't buy into the traditional lovey dovey just the two of them holiday. But at the table, this woman comes around selling roses. The other two husbands buy one for their wives but Mike brushes the lady off and Franky's feelings get hurt. The fight that ensues later is Mike maintaining that they don't buy into the holiday and Franky explains that all her friends got flowers and she didn't. A lot of women say they don't buy into Valentine's but if their man ever forgot to acknowledge it somehow, they would be hurt.
This year for Valentine's, Cole bought me some cooking gadgets that I've been wanting. We laughed about the fact that even though Cole knows me well and I say I don't care about flowers, this could have gone badly for him. But he said it was a mistake he'd only make once. If it worked, great; if not, he knew what to get me for every other Valentine's Day for the rest of our lives. But it did work out! I love that he tailored the holiday to me and showed me that he loves me. He tracked down one thing that we haven't been able to find anywhere- a food scraper. You know those things that help you move food from a cutting board to a pan? I see them on cooking shows all the time but have never been able to find one. He found one.
I also received my traditional box of chocolates. Ever since we've been together, Cole has bought me a small personalized box of chocolates. Instead of getting me one big generic box that has about 5-6 that I really want, he buys me a box of five or six chocolates that he knows I'd like- plus one strange one he thinks I'd like to try. This year I got a strawberry cream, a peanut butter sea salt, a coffee cream, a chocolate mint and the strange one was a really spicy chili chocolate.
For Cole, I made a nice breakfast that included home made strawberry rhubarb pop tarts. Rhubarb is Cole's favourite. They were delicious.
And from Kailey, we received the best night's sleep we've had for weeks. She slept from 7pm till 7:40 am with only one feed at 4am. Hooray for tough babies who fight through the teething pain to try to let their parents sleep....not that she knew that's what she was doing....

1 comment:
You make home made pop tarts! I never knew there was such a thing!
As for gift giving, I'm glad to hear that he doesn't go the easy way and actually gets you things that you want, even if no one else would. Getting me kitchen gadgets is a no-no, getting them for you is one of the best presents.
So many men go the easy route of chocolates, flowers and jewelry without even considering what she actually likes. Not that those things are bad, they're just generic.
And I'm all for celebrating holidays.
Post a Comment