B had her baby blessing at church on Sunday. We had family from Victoria and Vancouver travel for it- it was really nice. My mom, dad and one of my sisters came on Friday night and my other two sister and my brother-in-law joined us on Saturday. So we had a full house (and bathroom) this weekend. I made lunch for everyone for Sunday so I was prepping all day Saturday with my mom. Usually I enjoy even a whole day of food prep but it was tainted a bit for me this time just because there was so much extra noise, it was hard to relax. But we all survived and that's pretty good.
 |
| End of a long day of prepping on Sat |
 |
| Grandpa and B on Sat |
Cole and I experimented with doing pulled pork the proper way- on the charcoal grill. It turned out fabulously. I took some direction from an Emerille Lagasee recipe and I would do it again. I used a nice spice rub on the pork and Cole let it go low and slow all afternoon, occasionally basting with a mopping sauce. We noticed the pork reached its temperature a little too quickly (6 hrs instead of the 12 we were aiming for). So next time we do it, he will wrap it up sooner- like at 145 degrees so it can keep cooking longer. It should be around 195 to pull easily. But it is a great group, do ahead meal because Saturday we pulled the pork, put it in bbq sauce and on Sunday morning I just threw it in the crockpot to warm up. The smokiness from the bbq and the kick from the spice rub were amazing. I also did a bunch of cold make ahead salads: a potato salad (with a vinaigrette instead of a mayo based dressing), a chicken casear pasta salad, a thai cashew quinoa salad, and a Mediterranean rice salad. I also made some salsa to serve along some chips. My mom and grandma brought a selection of squares and fruit for dessert. It was all delicious and only fed us with leftovers for one day so we judged the amount pretty decently and I don't have a whole lot of experience making food for 18 people so I was pretty happy how it worked out.. For future reference, 9 lbs of pork shoulder fed 18 people the first day, 4 people the second day and 1 person the next.
K loved all the commotion during the weekend and playing with all her family. B wasn't used to all the extra stimulation and would have preferred to just hang out with me alone. She is way more cut out to be the first born than second born. K was never bothered by noise or crowds. Funny how that works out sometimes.
 |
| K with 2 of her aunts |
But all in all, it was a nice weekend. Cole gave a beautiful blessing, B looked sweet in her little white dress and we really appreciated everyone who travelled to be with us.
 |
| Sweet smiles of B in her blessing dress |
 |
| my lovely first born |
 |
| Family picture before church on Sunday |
 |
| lunch- my dad, my grandparents, my aunt |
 |
| lunch-my uncles, my aunt |
 |
| Grandma JR |
 |
| Murray and Elaine |
|
 |
my mom and dad (my mom was a huuge help this weekend
being my sous chef and dishwasher) |
|
[also attended but not in the pictures I have on my camera: Jacqueline and Justin Greenwood, Grandpa Wight and Raechelle. Honourable mention to Claudia who missed the ferry by 2 mins. And a kick in the butt to Carter who was left sleeping on the floor in Victoria.]
2 comments:
I wish I could have been there.
OHHHH I LOVE LOVE LOVE B's blessing dress. Do share where/how!
Post a Comment