On the local news last night was a story about a failed abduction attempt on at 17 year old girl in Victoria. The girl was pulled into a van while standing in her driveway but her screams brought out her mother and friend who were inside the house. The friend, also a teenage girl, intervened and the result was she was stabbed, but her friend had enough time to get out of the van. 9-1-1 was called and the man fled the scene but was found and picked up later that night. The girl that intervened and got stabbed was not seriously hurt, but needed stitches.
Stories like this always make me wonder if I want a good kid or a safe kid. It was incredibly brave to intervene, especially as a teenage girl against a grown man. She was the reason her friend didn't actually get abducted. A hero. I'm sure her parents are very proud- but had the stabbing been bad enough to cause real or even fatal damage, do you then wish that your kid had been cautious and safe rather than brave and kind?
I always wonder the same thing after I watch Pay It Forward. It's such a dangerous world out there and it's so awful to think that by raising a child who is brave and kind and selfless may get him or her hurt or killed. I think it also takes a brave parent to instill those qualities into those you want to protect so carefully.
I want my children to stand up to the evils and injustices in the world- and to stand up for those who need help. I want them to be brave and kind and selfless. I pray that won't result in injury or death. Such a scary world.
1 comment:
This just creeped me out yesterday when my brother walked by the crime scene on an innocent walk with our family dog. It always amazes me how close to home (in my case literally) these things happen.
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about exactly your thoughts all day.
Post a Comment