I can't tell you how many times I've served someone food and they've asked me what the seasoning is and how many times the answer is salt and pepper. Season your food people. Salt and pepper can do wonders if you use them properly.
If a novice cook can learn nothing else, learn these 2 things:
1. "Brown food tastes good" (Chef Anne Burrell). Cook your food with the appropriate heat- the brown refers to the colour of properly cooked food, whether it's vegetables or meat. Brown tastes good...grey does not, black does not. Brown is your goal.
2. Season your food while you cook. Season at every step. When you're done cooking, no one should be asking for salt or pepper. I keep salt and pepper in canisters by the stove so that I can easily season throughout the cooking. Taste your food before serving.
An example of these two skills being put to use is shown in our family's favourite side: roasted broccoli. First, the broccoli is tossed with a little olive oil and salt/pepper. Spread it out on a baking sheet. Roasting should be done at temperatures above 375. I usually use 400 for broccoli. You want to develop the brown roasted colour, cook the broccoli through, but leave a little bite. The result: broccoli that we can't get enough of. Also- when you roast vegetables, you maintain all the nutrients in them instead of boiling them away. Also, tastier than steaming.
No comments:
Post a Comment